Most private car owners lack the minimal knowledge required for basic maintenance and servicing of their cars. Most of them are not sincere enough to do the routine checks on their cars regularly. This lack of sincerity and knowledge is not only responsible for money, effort and time wasted on repairing, but is also responsible for major breakdown of the cars or even accidents. Here are some tips to ensure smooth operation of a car and longevity of its parts.
Ensuring smooth operation of a car and its longevity
1. Clean your car inside and outside before and after drive.
2. Check the bottom of the car for any leakage of oil or water.
3. Check tire pressure and look for any sign of rubber waning at the sides.
4. Keep your jack, spare tools and spare wheel in good working condition.
5. Check the engine oil level, radiator water/engine coolant level, power fluid level, brake fluid level, battery water level before starting the engine and maintain it if it is less.
6. Follow the operational manual and change engine oil when requires.
7. Check the indicators lights, brake lights, headlights, high beam lights and rear lights before you start to drive out.
8. Look at the V-belts, whether worn out or not, push it by your fingers to observe its tension. Change it, if necessary.
9. Check your wind shield wiper and door side glass for easy operation.
10. Ensure all the seat belts are in good working condition.
11. Start the engine and listen to the engine sound and observe for any abnormal vibration or sound.
12. Test your brake by simply moving your car 10/20 feet and making it stop. Make sure the break works satisfactorily.
13. Check your horn and side mirrors for comfortable view of the back.
14. While driving, observe for any abnormal sound or vibration. If occurs, immediately park your car at some safe place and try to find out the trouble and fix it.
15. Just so you know, while driving, if your car engine stops with jerking, it is fuel related fault, and if it stops smoothly, it is electrical fault. You can then check the related parts for quick action.
Ensure safe and hassle-free driving condition of your car. Drive safe.